Hero Dog "Miley" is cuddled by owner Stacie Pitts after receiving the 27th Annual National Hero Dog Award for saving Pitts from carbon monoxide poisoning last year in their Arkansas home, during a ceremony in Los Angeles on May 19, 2009. Stacie was fast asleep the night of December 7, 2008 when her one-year-old Terrier mix, Miley, woke her up in the middle of the night, but Stacie went back to sleep. But Miley persisted and Stacie awoke for a second time but was was overcome with nausea and was suffering a severe headache. She roused her step-daughter and fianc?, Randy who both were experiencing the same symptoms. 911 was called and the family rushed to the hospital. There they discovered that each suffered from poisoning with carbon monoxide levels of 17-25. Without Miley, the family could have suffered severe brain damage or death. AFP PHOTO/Mark RALSTON (Photo credit should read MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images)

On the morning of December 7 in Van Buren, Arkansas, Stacie Pitts was woken up by her 1-year-old pet dog, Miley. At first, she did not pay attention because her head was terribly aching but when she realized that Miley has no plan of stopping until she wakes up, she finally decided to get up.

The moment she woke up, she felt a little bit nauseous so she immediately went straight to the bathroom to throw up. She felt as if there were chemicals or medicine-like taste at the back of her throat.

Like his fianc?e Stacie, Richard Childers also felt the same way. He then decided to wake up Stacie’s 6-year-old stepdaughter. Like most, the child felt a bit nauseous as well. From this time, all of them knew something was not right. Richard immediately called the ambulance and together, they went to the Summit Medical Center.

When they were at the hospital, they learned that Stacie had a level 25 of carbon monoxide, Richard had 20-22 and the child had 17. All of them were soon treated but unfortunately for Stacie who got critically affected by the gas, the poison has permanently affected her lungs. The doctor even mentioned that she was not comatose but she couldn?t open her eyes.

It would have been extremely worse if Miley didn?t come and save her. By worse, it means having brain damage or even death. Luckily, Stacie and her family have a dog like Miley who was smart enough to alert them in times of danger.

They will never forget the fact that all of them were saved because of their dog?s heroic act. If it was not for her waking her owner up, she would have gone to deep sleep and only God knows what could have happened to their small family.

Source: Fox News



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here